[svlug] ubuntu 14.04 where are the wifi tables stored?

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 19:14:24 PST 2015

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 06:26:41PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Granting the above for the sake of discussion, imagine how much _even bigger_
> your strength in numbers advantage becomes if you address your help request
> on a LUG mailing list to everyone, rather than treating it as a
> distro-specific problem (when you have no reason to think it is one).

True, but everyone is entitled to a lapse in good judgement. I'm _notoriously_
guilty of phrasing messages to the list that make 'perfect' sense to me but
absolutely _nothing_ to others.

> > I would love to be able to watch my blu-rays on Debian the way I did using
> > a ppa on Kubuntu but, I fought with it for a couple of days and finally
> > gave up.
>
> Well, the Debian developers need to be extremely careful about the wrath of
> Our Lords in Hollywood.  So, the relevant software is not provided in
> supported distro packages.

Yes, it doesn't take long for a Linux user to learn about 'restricted extras'. I
did all that early on.

> http://www.webupd8.org/2012/08/how-to-get-encrypted-blu-rays-working.html
> has hints about that that they say should work on any distro.  Mind you,
> encrypted Blu-Rays are _deliberately_ a moving target, so a Linux solution
> that was tested-good on encrypted Blu-Rays a couple of years ago may not
> work on recent discs.

I may have read this site, not sure, as I went through many sites, instructions,
and forums to find a working solution; still nothing working. I even tried
scraping some files from the old Kubuntu backups and trying to get blu-ray
working on a Kubuntu VM as a workaround. No luck on all accounts.

> There's also a $50 proprietary program (30-day trialware thing) called
> MakeMKV that solves the problem.

If I'm going to go so far as _paying_ for the software to make it fly, I'd be
more inclined to buy a small blu-ray player, put it on the shelf over my
computer desk, and plug it into HDMI2 of the monitor.

--
EFF ID: 1731778

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits."
-- Einstein