[svlug] ubuntu 14.04 where are the wifi tables stored?

Rick Moen rick at svlug.org
Sat Jan 17 18:26:41 PST 2015

Scott DuBois wrote:

> On the positive side, there is strength in numbers as the higher the
> population associated with any distro means the greater number of
> development and support contributors.

Granting the above for the sake of discussion, imagine how much _even bigger_
your strength in numbers advantage becomes if you address your help request
on a LUG mailing list to everyone, rather than treating it as a
distro-specific problem (when you have no reason to think it is one).

Picking the relevant process out of 'ps' output is beyond what one expects
from Ubuntu novices, but not from our El Paso friend who's used Unix longer
than I have.

> I would love to be able to watch my blu-rays on Debian the way I did using
> a ppa on Kubuntu but, I fought with it for a couple of days and finally
> gave up.

Well, the Debian developers need to be extremely careful about the wrath of
Our Lords in Hollywood.  So, the relevant software is not provided in
supported distro packages.

So, first you install VLC from the backports  wheezy-backports repo, as
described here.  http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-debian.html

That's only part 1 of 2, because you now also need to supply optional libs
libaacs0, libbluray1, and libbluray-bdj, which VLC can then use, and are the
parts (when combined with VLC) that I guess Our Lords in Hollywood might wax
wroth about.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/08/how-to-get-encrypted-blu-rays-working.html
has hints about that that they say should work on any distro.  Mind you,
encrypted Blu-Rays are _deliberately_ a moving target, so a Linux solution
that was tested-good on encrypted Blu-Rays a couple of years ago may not
work on recent discs.

There's also a $50 proprietary program (30-day trialware thing) called
MakeMKV that solves the problem.