[svlug] Inits (was: On the process of picking up systemd)

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sat Jan 17 17:57:20 PST 2015

Steve Litt writes:
> This is a fairly unusual use case. It's by no means contrived, I've
> done it to get wired Ethernet on a box with Broadcom wifi, but it's
> unusual.

Not really that unusual. Go to installfest type events and you'll
very frequently see beginners who install from a CD and then
discover they can't access the net because the drivers on the
installation CD don't handle their Broadcom chip.

If there's no wired ethernet at the site (and there usually isn't),
a USB wi-fi dongle could be an easy solution -- except that by the
time you discover that the beginner's computer needs that, you
probably have to diddle with the udev persistent net rules because
NetworkManager (or whatever) will be trying to talk over wlan0 when
you need it to use wlan1.

        ...Akkana