[svlug] ubuntu 14.04 where are the wifi tables stored?

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 17:55:01 PST 2015

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 10:29:10PM +0100, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> That's because now you've to pay to use RH and Ubuntu is among the most
> diffused distro and it's learning curve is a bit lower than debian, it
> is easier to install some non free software (that are supported) and it
> has a different release cycle that let you have newer software on a
> stable supported release (questionable, but I guess that's the
> perception people have).

Having recently switched from a 'buntu based distro to Debian I can attest that,
IMHO, it's not so much that 'buntu and it's derivitives have a lower learning
curve so much as the platform is more forgiving to adding almost anything to it
as you mention. There is a certain detriment to this though as the system
becomes quite cluttered very fast and the oipportunity for _user_ inflicted
corruption is much higher.

On the positive side, there is strength in numbers as the higher the population
associated with any distro means the greater number of development and support
contributors. Having a larger pool of users to turn to for help and support that
is distro specific is definitely more of a blessing than a curse.

Debian stable does require a certain amount of restraint in comparison to
running any 'buntu based distro. I would love to be able to watch my blu-rays on
Debian the way I did using a ppa on Kubuntu but, I fought with it for a couple
of days and finally gave up. Learning not to use ppa's takes time to get used
to. Sticking with stable, tested, reliable software takes time to get used to
and in a sense, it builds character and discipline.

--
EFF ID: 1731778

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits."
-- Einstein