[svlug] Fix to locking oneself out of /etc/sudoers with Ubuntu 14.04

Jesse Monroy jesse650 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 15:38:45 PST 2015

To all,
this has been sitting in my outbox for quite a while. It will get posted to
one of my blogs, likely https://unbot.wordpress.com/

Also, given the wide spread use of 'sudo', I expect this solution
to useful beyond this post. If you have any comments or additions,
let me know, I'll add them to the blog post.

TIA
Jesse
----
On Dec 13, 2014, minutes before a sales call, the brillant concept
flashed in my mind "passwordless sudo".

First, for proper reference let relate a BSD community motto
Namely, "always leave the user enough rope to shot themself in foot with."

Next, I want to say after doing multiple mindless self-inflicted
hangings I should have known better, but I did it. Yes, I did what
might be the worst idea - I modified /etc/sudoers, and left the editor
- before testing it!

So as you might guess, I was locked out of reverting /etc/sudoers.
Yes, I know there are countless solutions to this - if forethought is
given.

But let's just say for a moment you did not have coffee, or somehow
put on the idiot hat in the morning, and wandered around in a daze,
and accidently typed :wq!

Here is how to fix that mess for Ubuntu 14.04

while booting:
left-shift key

$ mount -o remount,rw /

$ vi /etc/sudoers

Undo your mistake. Also when editing a configuration file, it has
always been a company policy, "Comment out. NEVER EVER DELETE!"

$ save with ":w!"

 ----

To the original problem

Add this to the last line of: /etc/sudoers
your-username ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

Credit goes to :
http://askubuntu.com/questions/147241/execute-sudo-without-password