[svlug] ubuntu 14.04 where are the wifi tables stored?

Rick Moen rick at svlug.org
Sat Jan 17 15:08:04 PST 2015

Jesse Monroy wrote:

> Following that analogy a bit, my question was more of
> "I've got tuna on the line. How do I get rid of the dolphin?"

No, your question was more like 'I've got a _red_ fish on the line.
Therefore, are there any _Stanford graduates_ who can help me get rid of the
thing-I'm-not-going-to-bother-to-specify-that-eats-fish?'  (I'm picking on
Stanford University because its mascot, ond sports-team name, is the colour
'cardinal', replacing the politically awkward Stanford Indians starting in
1981.)

You didn't actually need help from Stanford graduates (analogue for Ubuntu
and GNOME users), but rather from anyone who knows or can look up the
software in question.  And the useful datum missing from your request was
that 'thing-I'm-not-going-to-bother-to-specify-that-eats-fish' actually
means dolphins.

The fact that this is on Ubuntu 14.04 was irrelevant to your problem.  Your
problem was with NetworkManager, which is completely distro-independent, and
stores its records in the same place on any *ix where it's installed.

So, it would have been in your interest to say 'Where does _NetworkManager_
store its wifi connections table?' rather than (impliedly) ask only Ubuntu
14.04 users for help, and not bother to identify the software in question.

If Ubuntu users _specifically_ had not already shown a severe tendency to
self-ghetto-ise by conducting themselves in this exact Apple-like fashion, I
would not have mentioned the point.  But I'm glad you got help (from the guy
I shave) -- and you're welcome.