[svlug] ubuntu 14.04 where are the wifi tables stored?

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Sat Jan 17 13:29:10 PST 2015

On 01/17/2015 07:26 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Just to recap my point:  I basically wanted to point out that asking on a LUG
> mailing list inquiries of the form 'Can anyone using $MYDISTRO help me?' is
> usually[1] contrary to your interests.
>
> The software pieces comprising Linux (and BSD) distributions is widespread
> and part of a Unix technical culture going back 45 years.  Odds are, someone
> here either has relevant experience or can help you look up what you need.
> All you have to do is name the software in question, or, y'know, throw us a
> hint.
>
> But addressing your help request specifically to $MYDISTRO users implicitly
> says 'All you _other_ people who can help me, I'm not talking to you.'  And
> why on earth would you convey that message?

What about saying as much as you can including the distro?
Unfortunately or fortunately, there are enough differences between distros.
Knowing the distro may help to suggest the kosher way to do something or
find the place where you could find configuration files or to know  the
default installed software.

Sure sometimes knowing the distro doesn't make any difference, but how
is the postulant going to know?

Actually I do think that knowing the distro is important because even if
there may be a way to deal with the problem at a lower level you may
find yourself fighting with higher level mechanism peculiar to your
distro and you'll end up increasing the entropy of your whole system.

We can discuss how someone should know the inner details (should we?), I
do agree that generally programmers that know how the bare metal works
tend to be better programmer, but ignorance is a luxury.
The ROI to learn something is different for everyone and for every topic.

I'm not really concerned if my physician know how systemd works, I'm not
even concerned if my electronic engineer know how systemd works, I could
continue to be reasonably indifferent if a frontend web developer knew
how systemd works.
I'd be more concerned if the people taking care of my VPS didn't know
how systemd works.

> One cannot help noticing that $MYDISTRO is almost invariably Ubuntu, these
> days, just as in the middle '90s it was Red Hat Linux.

That's because now you've to pay to use RH and Ubuntu is among the most
diffused distro and it's learning curve is a bit lower than debian, it
is easier to install some non free software (that are supported) and it
has a different release cycle that let you have newer software on a
stable supported release (questionable, but I guess that's the
perception people have).

And yeah I'm among the ones that think that Ubuntu really means "I can't
configure Debian".
As SUSE meant "Ich kann nicht konfigurieren Debian" for me back in the days.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it