[svlug] ubuntu 14.04 where are the wifi tables stored?

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Sat Jan 17 03:22:47 PST 2015

On 01/17/2015 08:12 AM, Steve Litt wrote:

> If you happen to be using wpa_supplicant instead of NetworkManager or

/etc/NetworkManager/

I haven't understood if even "user" connections get set there or just
"system wide" connection.

It seems that it stores "system wide" and "users" connection in the same
place under /etc, that's pretty bad.
And yeah to store your system wide configuration there you don't have to
insert your root password, mhe.

I don't have any box with nm running handy, since it didn't play well
with ipv6 and I couldn't comfortably set wol.

It was not "sensing" correctly when I had an ipv6 connection up and keep
on taking it down and up again together with the ipv4 one. Be warned.

The ideas behind nm aren't bad, but being the project so old and with so
many fundamental broken feature I lost my patience and returned to old
interfaces config on all boxes other than my notebook.

Setting up vpn, chosing wifi etc... it's pretty convenient with nm
applet and ipv6 is not that common when you're on the move and
definitively you won't need wol.

BTW if you don't have a package installed, you don't want to download it
and you want to know which files it installs:

https://packages.debian.org/sid/all/wicd-daemon/filelist

if you've installed it

dpkg -L [packagename]

That could give you a clue on where configuration files are stored.

Of course that won't help if a package stores other configuration files
in your ~ for example or if it doesn't come with a preset configuration
(rare).

Generally man pages contains reference to configuration files or other
programs to set the configuration.

ivan at dawn:~$ apropos networkmanager
NetworkManager (8)   - network management daemon
NetworkManager.conf (5) - NetworkManager configuration file
ivan at dawn:~$ man NetworkManager.conf
SYNOPSIS
       /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf,
/etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/name.conf
SEE ALSO
       NetworkManager(8), nmcli(1), nmcli-examples(5), nm-online(1),
nm-settings(5), nm-applet(1), nm-connection-editor(1)

You can try the same with bash and discover all the files involved in
setting it up in the FILES section for example.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it