[svlug] ubuntu 14.04 where are the wifi tables stored?

Rick Moen rick at svlug.org
Sat Jan 17 00:29:46 PST 2015

Jesse Monroy wrote:

> it's good point, and I certainly an aware of using shoddy documentation.
> However, as is quite common for Ubuntu and a few other distros, they
> become moving targets, mostly for reason not of their own doing.

But NetworkManager's pretty much the same anywhere.

> My point being, If I had a clue about where to look I'd start there,
> but as both yourself and Steve pointed to this can be a challenge.

I'm not sure whether 'where to look' in this sentence refers to what
application to look under, or where in the file tree to look for its
records.  Under the assumption you mean the former:

As a desktop Ubuntu user, even if you totally blank on it being their
version of GNOME, the way you find out the binary name of the thing you're
currently running is the same way you'd do it in any *ix environment.

1.  Quit the application in question.
2.  List out the process table.
3.  Start the application.
4.  Whatever's new in the process table is the application.

You would probably find /usr/bin/nm-applet as the answer to that question.
This is the GNOME/gtk front-end that talks to the NetworkManager daemon
process, FWIW.  (I gather that there are more pieces to the NetworkManager
suite than I care to think about.)

Anyway, what we see all the time is questions about, e.g., 'that thing in
Ubuntu for doing [foo]', which reference is even worse and more useless than
the previously predominant 'that thing in [GNOME|KDE] for doing [foo]'.
It's bad because the querent's supposition is that he/she should seek out
someone else with exactly the same graphical environment -- which is a good
way to cut your helper pool to a tiny splinter of the whole, and exclude a
whole lot of people who can look up your answer.

The main thing they'll need is what specific program you're talking about.
Thus my point.

I've been known to temporarily install, say, KWord to help someone with that
word processor.  But if the user says only 'I'm having a problem writing a
letter in KDE' -- or, worse, 'I'm having a problem writing a letter in
Kubuntu', then that's unlikely to happen.  (Helpers aren't going to be
willing to install all of KDE, let alone all of Kubuntu, just so they can
follow the querent's instructions to do 'K menu, Office, Word Processor'
in order to have the same experience.)