[svlug] ubuntu 14.04 where are the wifi tables stored?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Jan 16 23:12:12 PST 2015

On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 20:27:45 -0700
Jesse Monroy <jesse650 at gmail.com> wrote:

> For those that not heard this before, in the BSD world our motto for
> user space is:
>
>     "Give them enough rope to shoot themselves in the foot with."
>
> We presume a end-user has some knowledge and patience to accomplish a
> task.
>
> Many liunx distros I've run into make it convenient to set something
> up, but painful to tear it down.
>
> So my dilemma - I often sit at Jack in the Box in El Paso, which has a
> flakey connection, but NO splash page absolving the said owner of
> liability. Next door, with a much more powerful wifi, is DD (dunkin
> donuts), which has the annoying splash page. I used to sit in there,
> but the music became intolerable.
>
> So, I need to remove this previous wifi record form that wifi table.
> Does someone know where this table is at, or perhaps a GREP or FIND
> invocation that will help me find this.
>
> TIA
> Jesse

If you happen to be using wpa_supplicant instead of NetworkManager or
Wicd, it's in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. If you're using
Wicd or NetworkManager, I haven't a clue, and on my more cynical days,
I think maybe they ship the wifi records via dbus to some other app
that actually writes them.

By the way, between iwlist scanning wlan0 (or whatever),
wpa_supplicant, you can do a pretty good job of logging in if you're
not continuously walking from hotspot to hotspot to hotspot.

SteveT