[svlug] Debian upgrade (was Debian Upgrade 7.8)

Rick Moen rick at svlug.org
Fri Jan 16 15:30:02 PST 2015

Scott DuBois wrote:

> Yeah, but I get concerned of dependencies going bye-bye that were necesary
> for other programs. I know the system 'should' know this and prevent it, but.

apt-get remove with --purge doesn't do that.  What it does is erase things
like /etc/ and (IIRC) /usr/share files associated with the package that
would otherwise be left behind.

> I wasn't thrilled with the concept of trying to rebuild a bigger / root
> filesystem but it would have been interesting.

The non-destructive filesystem-resizing utilities are claimed to be pretty
reliable, these days.

> I did have both installed but, KDE was a 'stripped down' version. I tried
> to only load KDE during install but didn't find the option to pass on GNOME3.

My own preference is to start with a _minimal_ Debian installation (not
including GNOME), and then build up from there.

Lots of guides to that on the Internet, if you need them.  The basic idea is
that you deselect all offered installable items when going through the
installer.  This results in, initially, a barebones system with no X11 at
all, but then you use apt-get and/or tasksel to build up the things you
want.  (Get used to Debian before trying that, though.)

http://wiki.dennyhalim.com/debian-minimal-desktop-installation
http://linuxforcynics.com/how-to/minimal-debian-install