[svlug] Inits (was: On the process of picking up systemd)

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 15:21:18 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 12:24:51AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Anyway, like you I'm a bit at a loss to produce indeterminate bootup
> sequences -- at least, in Linux systems that comply with my prejudices,
> e.g., avoiding that silliness of mounting /home from a USB drive -- so I
> cannot say 'Here, look at this [link] session data that proves that an
> event-driven handler is required for at least the early phase of init'.
> However, reading the 2011-2012 technical discussions from before the subject
> devolved into verbal warfare, I see broad consensus that such is the case,
> FWIW.

We had a guy come into EBLUG one night with a MacBook Air who had a small Linux
partition with the root filesystem on it and everything else on a USB. It was
interesting to watch. I've considered it myself on my wife's laptop.

Little netbooks are good candidates for a USB based /home as well.

--
EFF ID: 1731778

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits."
-- Einstein