[svlug] Debian upgrade (was Debian Upgrade 7.8)

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 15:04:59 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 01:30:16PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> As a fine point, if you're determined to utterly banish not just the bones
> of a program but also any state files associated with it, then include the
> '--purge' switch.

Yeah, but I get concerned of dependencies going bye-bye that were necesary for
other programs. I know the system 'should' know this and prevent it, but.

> So, maybe you should start by saying where you started, i.e., one DE or two,
> and where you expected to end up.
>
> If you intentionally had _both_ the KDE4 and GNOME3 suites installed, I am
> not very surprised at you running out of room on a 9.5GB root filesystem.
> https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/apds02.html.en says:
>
> Task:  GNOME (default)   Space needed to install (MB):  3236
> Task:  KDE               Space needed to install (MB):  3175

I did have both installed but, KDE was a 'stripped down' version. I tried to
only load KDE during install but didn't find the option to pass on GNOME3.

So, yeah, both of those 'full' DE's in there ate up a lot of space.

> The kitchen sink in Debian is a _big_ kitchen sink.  It's more like
> the Fairmount Hotel's kitchen, plus all the laundry rooms.  If you're
> going to go around installing multiple DEs, then, yeah, maybe you simply
> need a good bit more than 9.5GB to play with.

Well, since I've managed to get rid of some 'dead weight' programs I know I
don't use, I think I'll be ok for a bit. I wasn't thrilled with the concept of
trying to rebuild a bigger / root filesystem but it would have been interesting.
However, it's something to think about in the future.

--
EFF ID: 1731778

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits."
-- Einstein