[svlug] Debian Upgrade 7.8

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 14:03:42 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 11:13:36AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> OK, I'm glad your system didn't get fundamentally broken by whatever
> happened.  You might find history.log and term.log in /var/log/apt/ to
> be enlightening in determining what happened.

Yeah, you and I both. I've been looking through and still not sure. I'm
suspecting something got removed by mistake and I wasn't paying close enough
attention.

> One of the characteristic traits of Debian is that, for most purposes, it's
> an install-once system.  You do the initial installation, then you continue
> to maintain it, going forward, solely by package updates, and the installer
> is never relevant again.

That's what I've been hoping for anyway. I do realize it's a different animal
than the 'buntu's in many ways. I'm learning these as I go along. I think the
reason I made the correlation was that I wasn't sure what happened and I'm
fairly certain it wasn't something I did myself. In checking to see if something
from outside might have come in, I noticed this recent change from Debian.
However, I realize this does not necessarily mean this incident and those
changes from Debian are in any way related.

The main thing is that it's working and I can continue on my merry way while
trying to backtrack and learn from any clues that might have been left in the
wake.

> > However, I now have this /root fill condition I need to work with.
>
> Well, before recommending remedies, it's relevant to ask:  What's now in
> there?  And what does 'df -h | grep /root' say, i.e., how big is it?

rse at linux:~$ df -h | grep root
rootfs                                                  9.2G  8.0G  798M  92% /
roguehorse at linux:~$ df -h
Filesystem                                              Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs                                                  9.2G  8.0G  798M  92% /
udev                                                     10M     0   10M   0% /dev
tmpfs                                                   801M  828K  800M   1% /run
/dev/disk/by-uuid/1e0de856-5fd9-4f12-b21c-201c0d0e2bda  9.2G  8.0G  798M  92% /
tmpfs                                                   5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs                                                   3.9G   84K  3.9G   1% /run/shm
/dev/sda6                                               273G  2.9G  257G   2% /home

> (I'm assuming you didn't mean '/' when you wrote '/root'.  The former is the
> root filesystem.  Having that be full is a more-serious matter than merely
> having the root user's home directory full.)

Hence my concern. My apologies for providing incorrect or misleading
information.

What finally occured to me today was that when I 'originally'
installed KDE, I installed the kde-standard reduced version rather than kde-full.
This difference is pretty big and thus added a lot of extra packages I didn't
have before. I have thus needed to go through and clean a lot of extra stuff out
like games and such. As you can tell, I'm down to 92% full now. I cleaned out a
lot of GNOME packages and dependencies too.

> If you mean '/', then say '/' and not '/root', as they are very much not the
> same thing.

Got it; understood.

From what I've read today, I can either offload more and more programs like I've
been doing to clean out packages or I have to run from a LiveCD so '/' is not
mounted and change the partition size using tools on the live CD. One poster
mentioned creating a new partition then copying everything over and adjusting
fstab as necessary.

Either way, this is territory I have never been to before.

--
EFF ID: 1731778

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits."
-- Einstein