[svlug] Debian Upgrade 7.8

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 10:33:52 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 11:27:42AM +0100, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> Unless you waited so long you accumulated a lot of updates between 2
> point release.

Nope. Do updates pretty regularly.

> You said it was trying to update kde. It could surely happen you have to
> update kde in debian stable but I'd suspect it is a rare event.
> updating kde may require a lot of space, possibly more than 240Mb.

Not update, it got uninstalled. I had to put it back. If it was there, it got
hidden from gdm and I didn't think to go looking for it.

> Another possibility is you have a separate /var partition that is very
> small since packages get temporarily saved in /var/cache/apt.

Nah, the only separate partition is /home.

> Unless you booted again with the CD, and I'm really not aware if there
> is an update option, it is hard to think you took any other option (eg
> apt-cdrom).

Nope. I stopped using the DVD about a week ago when I figured out how to remove
it from the repo search settings.

> Consider running aptitude autoclean or even aptitude clean to free some
> space in /var/cache/apt

Did that. I stiil have too much in there.

Now I'm going to try:

Synaptic --> Status --> Not Installed (Residual Config) and remove all those

--
EFF ID: 1731778

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits."
-- Einstein