[svlug] Debian Upgrade 7.8

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 09:58:06 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 12:46:53AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Scott DuBois wrote:
>
> > So I just went through my first upgrade from 7.7 to 7.8 and it was _not_
> > fun.
>
> I must start with the disclaimer that I haven't run Debian Stable on
> anything in a dog's age.  So, I am outside my direct experience here, at
> least speaking of recent experience.

Don't worry about it. I'm less than 2 weeks into it so you're still miles ahead.

> So, my recollection of the standard way of doing things on Debian Stable is
> that you just periodically do 'apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade',
> like, weekly or so, and get a slow trickle of ongoing package updates.  You

I do this every couple of days; works great. So far I'm thrilled so I'm not
exactly sure what happened last night. I tried going back through my bash
history to see if I had executed some command by mistake and found nothing.

However, I now have this /root fill condition I need to work with. Not a _huge_
deal as everything is working. I'm sure it will come into play eventually though
so might as well deal with it now.

> And, the point is, after you've installed Debian Stable, you would have no
> reason to even pull down later / revised installation images, right?

Right. Aside from VMs that I use to test things I haven't done before prior to
executing them on my base install (just to make sure I don't hose things).

But yes, you're right.

> Did you, perchance, decide to download and boot from the Debian 7.8
> installation media?

No.

> If so, then, as the old technical support joke goes, Don't Do That, Then.

Right. The fun of learning 'the hard way' by doing. =)

> If I'm missing the context, on the other hand, please explain, as so far, I
> am not understanding what you did.

Well, in a nutshell, I fixed something that went awry and everything is fine.
However, I now have this issue of a fairly full /root that I would like to
increase the capacity of or free some space from.

apt-get clean & apt-get autoremove only freed a little space.

What other options do I have?

--
EFF ID: 1731778

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits."
-- Einstein