[svlug] Debian Upgrade 7.8

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Fri Jan 16 02:27:42 PST 2015

On 01/16/2015 08:33 AM, Scott DuBois wrote:

> Should I consider increasing the size of the root
> partition or try going through and cleaning out unecessary junk I don't
> use/need?

> rse at linux:~$ df
> Filesystem              1K-blocks      Used  Available Use% Mounted on
> rootfs                    9611492   8882076     241176  98% /

As Rick said: What exactly did you do?

Generally you keep debian stable updated with aptitude update; aptitude
safe-upgrade cycle and generally those updates are small with the
exception of the kernel that can be a bit large (~33Mb).
There may be other pretty large packages (eg latex stuff) but you had
240Mb free.
It is possible but unlikely that a debian stable update cycle would fill
240Mb since debian stable is stable and you generally don't receive a
lot of big updates together.

Unless you waited so long you accumulated a lot of updates between 2
point release.
If you stay on stable I think it would be pretty reasonable to update
frequently to avoid to miss any security update. Again stable is stable
and updates are very rarely disruptive and don't require intervention to
reconfigure stuff generally.

Unstable is unstable... there are people that say that it would be
better to update just selected packages when you need them or for
security reasons to lower the chances you'll find something broken.
I prefer the "update all, update often" strategy because it is easier to
deal with smaller chunks of updates than discovering suddenly that
something you need to upgrade is going to update a long list of
dependencies some of which may have been broken in an earlier release.

You said it was trying to update kde. It could surely happen you have to
update kde in debian stable but I'd suspect it is a rare event.
updating kde may require a lot of space, possibly more than 240Mb.

Another possibility is you have a separate /var partition that is very
small since packages get temporarily saved in /var/cache/apt.

Otherwise I don't even know how to update a working stable with a
physical media. I think it should be possible but even so I wonder how
that process could exhaust your space on the HD.

Unless you booted again with the CD, and I'm really not aware if there
is an update option, it is hard to think you took any other option (eg
apt-cdrom).

Consider running aptitude autoclean or even aptitude clean to free some
space in /var/cache/apt

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it