[svlug] Debian Upgrade 7.8

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 23:33:24 PST 2015

So I just went through my first upgrade from 7.7 to 7.8 and it was _not_ fun.

Somehow, my entire KDE install went bye-bye and I was left booting into GNOME as
the option to boot into KDE wasn't even there anymore. Ok, no biggie, just
re-install kde-full right? No.

I got an error saying 'no space left on device' with most of the packages.
However, reboot and at least the 'option' was there to boot into KDE now. I did
that and only got a white screen with my Moon Phases Plasma widget. Mouse
wouldn't do anything but move a cursor around, Alt+F2 (KRunner) lets me launch programs so X is
working and programs are all still there (I think).

Try 'sudo apt-get autoremove' and get error:
need to run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a'
Ok, do that. Still 'no space left on device' errors.
Grab the phone and search....
Run: lsof | grep warning
Mysqld is holding a _bunch_ of stuff in PID 4641
kill 4641
Try 'sudo apt-get autoremove' and get error:
need to run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a'
Ok,do that...
KDE packages start loading again...seems to be working
sudo apt-get autoremove --> ok...about 40+Mb cleaned out
sudo apt-get clean --> ok...didn't check cache after
sudo reboot

Everything is _almost_ the way it was.
Some configuration required.

What went wrong, what did I do wrong, and how can I prevent this from biting
me in the ass again?

Should I consider increasing the size of the root
partition or try going through and cleaning out unecessary junk I don't
use/need?

rse at linux:~$ df
Filesystem              1K-blocks      Used  Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                    9611492   8882076     241176  98% /

I would consider taking out GNOME to free up a bunch of space but based on what
just happened? I suppose I could figure it out from the CLI. It would save space
for sure and that's what I'd have to do with any other upgrade glitch that
didn't have a secondary DE installed.

There were some other steps involved but it was 20min of WTF panic and this was
the bulk of the fix.

--
EFF ID: 1731778

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits."
-- Einstein