[svlug] Restricting privileges

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 07:39:35 PST 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 06:56:25PM -0800, Sarah Newman wrote:
> Aside from whether this particular bug is a red herring, interest in apparmor had been expressed to
> me previously so I wanted to share my research. I also wanted to show how to run a GUI process as a
> different user transparently.
>
> To wildly speculate, perhaps the reports are intentionally vague so that exploits are less likely to
> be developed until end users have had a chance to update.

I was under the impression that all 'buntu's had Apparmor installed (and
running) by default.
It has been on all my Kubuntu installs.

https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/apparmor.html

> > NOW it says:
> > """
> > You are not authorized to access bug #1111737. To see this bug, you
> > must first log in to an account with the appropriate permissions.
> > """"
> >
> > So perhaps you'll see my annoyance.
> > Jesse

That would be annoying.

--
EFF ID: 1731778

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits."
-- Einstein