[svlug] Which computer languages did Sun Microsystems leave behind?

Andrew Wilcox andrew.r.wilcox at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 17:22:39 PST 2015

The Self programming language, which is a dialect of Smalltalk, was
developed in the 90s by people who worked at Sun Microsystems[1].  Sun did
a lot of work in open source besides just that, though; they developed NFS,
ZFS, some work on GNOME and X11, and even contributed to the SPARC Linux
kernel[2]. Also, iIt may seem obvious to some given the name, but
JavaScript - originally Mochascript - was also conceived in a joint project
between Sun and Netscape[3].

Hope this helps!
--Andrew

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_%28programming_language%29
[2]:
https://www.quora.com/What-were-Sun-Microsystems-contributions-to-open-source
[3]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECMAScript

On 13 January 2015 at 23:59, Jesse Monroy <jesse650 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey All,
> I'm curious. I know about Java; I think we all know that, but which
> other languages. So far I have found TCL/TK & Lua. You can see
> it in old copyright notices.
>
> Anyone else have any memories?
>
> TIA
> Jessse

Andrew Wilcox, http://foxkit.us/
C/C++/Python/Ruby developer, *BSD/Linux/Solaris sysadmin
current projects: open source DMG emulator, FreeBSD/sparc64 work