[svlug] Inits (was: On the process of picking up systemd)

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 09:09:06 PST 2015

On Thu, Jan 08, 2015 at 02:35:44AM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jan 2015 13:21:57 -0800
> Rick Moen <rick at svlug.org> wrote:
>
> > Does hotplug code have a 'huge cost'?  Undoubtedly, which is one of
> > the reasons why I try to avoid it.  However, you're changing the
> > subject in stressing that fact.  You don't need to convince _me_ that
> > I'd rather do without hotplugging, or probably Marc and other ornery
> > old sysadmins, but that leaves 95% of all Linux users.
>
> Hi Rick,
>
> That 95% will be perfectly happy with systemd. For those of us who
> aren't, there are plenty of reasonable alternatives.

And thus is where Linux (and others) shine. If you're not completely satisfied
with the way it's engineered 'out of the box' feel free to build it the way you
like. Try doing _that_ with OSX or Windows.

As a Linux desktop user, I like being able to hotplug my phone, tablet, printer,
usb drives, or whatever else comes along into my machine and have it detect the
device, load the drivers, and provide some kind of capability of interfacing with
that device without having to go in as root and configure things. I like this
capability to be there whether the device is plugged in at boot or during the
day when it's already running and most _users_ expect that. It's a _major_
security risk and burdensome to the system but, that's everyday life for the
average user these days.

From a server admin perspective, I wouldn't want any of
that shit without me _specifically allowing_ the device to have access to
anything. No one should be able to plug _anything_ into the server that will
provide any kind of interface or access to _anything_. Hence, two builds
should be available to the general public: desktop user and server user.
Each of which uses a different kind of init system.

I think the important thing to keep in mind is the application and use case. Not
every init is good for every application.