[svlug] Migration to Debian

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 19:17:08 PST 2015

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 06:34:18PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:

> Scott DuBois wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the suggestion and I'll keep it in mind; maybe even try setting
> > this up in a VM to see how it plays out.
>
> Yeah, _this_.  I keep trying to float the idea of trying out interesting
> distros or interesting experiments using VMs.   I think it's a very
> effective way to try out variations that otherwise might risk rendering a
> system unusable.  Among other things, you can keep around a known-good VM
> image of an installation, and carry out your experiments on copies of that
> image.  Try something, delete the copy when you're done, and nothing lost.

Oh! Your _know_ I do. Layered snapshots have saved my life more than once.

Some software we had to use for classes was expensive but we could do a 30 day
trial. Courses are 5 weeks long. Do the math. Now guess how I got around that?

Proprietary software companies hate me and they have good reason to. I'm not
stealing, just extending a tiny bit. =)

Cloning goes a little extreme but is also useful _if_ one is playing with fire
and doesn't want to sacrifice their only VM install of that OS. Saving good
VDI's to 'other' locations makes migration very easy. I currently have 6 OS's
mounted on this box. Thus the reason I had to install a second 1TB HDD
_primarily_ to hold the VM's separate from the / mount drive.

This is all in VirtualBox which I've grown accustomed to over the years, works
great right out of the Debian repos; so easy to install and just go.

I should get KVM up and going. I would like to migrate all my use cases
to something designed to be more 'native' but unfortunately KVM is really kind
of a different beast.