[svlug] Creating regular PDFs

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 17:20:36 PST 2015

On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 01:53:43AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Oh, by the way, there are lots of standard ways to turn password-wrapped PDF
> files into regular PDFs, so you no longer are stuck using only acroread, and
> having to put up with acroread telling you you're not allowed to copy text
> to clipboard, etc.  Some explanations of how:
>
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/removing-password-from-pdf-on-linux/
> http://linuxpoison.blogspot.com/2010/07/merge-or-encrypt-decrypt-pdf-files.html
> http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/miscellaneous/51331-encrypted-pdf-files.html
>
> You should _not_, of course, rip off the publisher after converting such files.
> Just decrypt the files so you can handle them in a saner and less annoying
> fashion, and be aable to use the PDF reader software of your choice.

Thanks! I will definitely look into these. I've tried a few variations to
overcome this issue as I would have liked to be able to read my textbooks on my
tablet while sitting in bed rather than having to be at my desk. I tried to find
a free PDF reader that would allow me to unlock the PDF's on my old Honeycomb
Android but none would do it aside from some 'paid' versions that I heard only
had limited success.

I'm not looking to rip off any publishers, just add a little convienience to my
life is all. Most of my college textbooks I wasn't interested in keeping anyway
but, my university is a little different in that once I graduate, I have
lifetime access to the university library. The entire library is in digital
format.

This should really be able to help my son as he gets into school and could use
the access to collegiate resources for papers and what not. Of course it will be
a number of years before he gets into high school, but it will be a great
opportunity for him that I didn't get from my parents.