[svlug] segregate GUI rubbish was: Migration to Debian

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 17:01:20 PST 2015

On Mon, Jan 05, 2015 at 12:43:33PM +0100, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:

> I just walked into this while I was trying to remember how lxc works:
> https://www.stgraber.org/2014/02/09/lxc-1-0-gui-in-containers/
>
> lxc had (and maybe still have) its containment problems, but it is very
> light, and fast to setup, start and clone being a container and it could
> really come handy for your use case.
> Acroread has an awful security history and eg. skype pollute your system
> with i386 dependencies that are anachronistic on a Linux system and that
> may keep back updates that you may find interesting once you move to sid.

Yes, unfortunately I had to install _all_ that i386 bs to get acroread to fly.
It might have been more worth it to just install all of it on a disposable VM.
That way, I keep my 'base' system clean of all that 'nastyware' and put the
disposable VM's to good use (as containers).

I don't do Skype either.

Every once in a while, someone wanders into my life and tries to psych me into
installing some bs proprietary software as if it will unlock some level of
'magical wonder' and I absolutely _must_ do this right away. Of course, I go
into my regular spew about open source and preferring to stay away from software
that I can happily replace with an open source or 'community' approved
alternative. It has always fascinated me how some people _that I barely know_
get _really_ offended because I don't just do as they say like a mindless
zombie? Hmmm.... maybe because it was bs in the first place perhaps?

I do use some 'partially' propretary, but it's usually stuff deemed
totally 'safe for Linux consumption'.