[svlug] Migration to Debian

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 16:47:18 PST 2015

On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 11:00:28AM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:

> Although I'm no longer a Debian guy, I agree with Rick and Ivan. If
> you're selecting Debian (at least up to and including Wheezy), you did
> so because of quality. Quality includes not crashing or doing stupid
> stuff. If I didn't want boring and stable, I wouldn't have selected
> Debian in the first place. I've always used Stable,  and until the
> events of the last few months, loved it.
>
> Note: Yeah, my daily driver is still Wheezy, but my next box will
> probably be Manjaro, and I'm preparing for that day.

Well, so far I've been 'fairly' happy with the results other than _not_ being
able to get blu-ray to fly. I've tried every 'magic trick' I could dig up off
the web short of doing something _really_ stupid like trying to port in Ubuntu
PPA's (I'm not THAT desperate). Had (past tense) blu-ray working on Kubuntu just
fine even though I rarely used it. Sometimes I like to watch a movie while the
wife is watching her select TV shows or late at night when her and my son have
gone to bed and I'm not tired yet.

Kind of a bummer, but I'll live since _most_ of our collection is DVD anyway and
the blu-rays we buy lately have all been dual-disk.

Aside from that, it's been a real pleasure working with Debian stable so far. I
was even able to upgrade LibreOffice to v4.3 from v3.5 by following Rick's
instructions and adding backports then running dist-upgrade. LibreOffice 4.3 has
WAY better support for formatting retention when converting from .odt to .doc as
is required for my coursework submissions.