[svlug] Migration to Debian

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Jan 5 16:55:00 PST 2015

On Mon, 5 Jan 2015 12:16:13 -0800
Scott DuBois <rhcom.linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Agreed, I do realize that KDE is one of the biggest, bloated, DE's
> one can choose to work from and I've considered simply installing a
> bare core distribution then adding in something like blackbox to
> handle GUI stuff. I'm just not quite there yet though. Maybe next
> time around as long as I can continue to use the proprietary BS
> that's currently being forced on me.

I'd like to put in a plug for Openbox plus dmenu: The ideal environment
for the touch typist. Lightning fast, I miss it when I work on
other computers.

Oh, and no panels or "taskbars" stealing valuable screen real estate,
and if your eyes are as bad as mine, every millimeter counts.

Put a 6 pixel "margin" on the left edge so you can click for your root
menu and window list, put hotkeys to your root menu, window list, and
dmenu, and you've got yourself a lean, mean, productivity machine.

SteveT