[svlug] Migration to Debian

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 20:32:48 PST 2015

On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 01:06:49AM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:

> > My immediate questions are:
> >
> > 1) Is there a way to get around having to install the disk frequently
> > for some packages? Is there some alternative to this that isn't going
> > to involve adding a lot of things I don't necessarily need?
>
> If that's what you really, really want, I'd recommend Slackware. But
> personally, I find Slackware inconvenient.

I've already commtted myself to Debian. I've actually been kicking this idea
around for about a year now but, was reluctant to commit do to complexities with
running non-free software I 'still' require because of associations tied to the
proprietary market.

I found the solution (I believe) in the System Administration panel and
de-selecting the DVD options for package searching. Mybe I've screwed up, maybe
not. I'll find out sooner or later.

Slackware I may try later down the road. I can try it out in a VM.

> > 2) My coursework requires me to read books from downloaded PDF that
> > are security protected for copyright protection and thus require Adobe
> > Reader to be able to perform the security log in. I have not installed
> > this software 'yet', does anyone have experience with installing said
> > software and if so, helpful advice?
>
> All the distros I've tried had Acroread. Just enable the "nonfree"
> repositories.

Well, I read this email a bit late and attempted to install an Adobe Reader
9.5.5 .deb file which I ended up 'forcing' an install on. This ended up being an
absolute f-up as it got installed, yeah, but then wouldn't launch. Frustrated, I
turned, again, to Google and figured out to get Acroread through synaptic which
gave me errors because of the force install of the Adobe Reader package. Long
story short, I got it all working.

Thankfully, after this frustration was installing VirtualBox which simply
installed directly through synaptic and didn't require f-ing with any dkim,
user group, or extension pack bs. It just worked, right off the bat and even
accepted _all_ my vdi's with _no_ bitching. In the last four years, it was the
easiest install and execution of VirtualBox BY FAR. The version from the repos'
isn't even stripped of some functionality either, everything works.

> By the way, if you haven't made your absolute, final decision, I've
> been very impressed by Manjaro lately. See if it has Acroread (my
> Manjaro machine is disabled right now).

Sorry man, already committed and will most likely stick with it for about two
years if not longer. Funny thing, aside from the debian 'core' underneath, no
one would be able to tell the difference from my old workspace and the new one
on the surface. Same KDE, same layout, 'mostly' same programs although some were
_not_ so friendly to install but, pretty much the same.

I'm mostly interested in how Debian holds up over regular, daily, use. So far,
I've had to get used to some changes but, now that I've gotten over the hardest
part of the learning curve (install & configure), I think I'm going to be pretty
happy with the overall experience. Being on the 'stable' release, I've noticed
some programs being a bit 'older' than what I was using however, most of the
programs are still there and pretty much the same. It'll be fun learning to use
a system that is not so diffrent to be frustrating, but more stable, secure, and
reliable by design.