[svlug] Inits (was: On the process of picking up systemd)

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Jan 4 08:06:03 PST 2015

On Sun, 4 Jan 2015 04:52:04 -0800
Rick Moen <rick at svlug.org> wrote:

> You might say that _many_ systems (especially servers) remained
> determinate in their startup events, and you would be right, but the
> maintainers did have a point.  After a bit of research before posting
> this resposne, I've found only five event-based candidates:
>
> o  Upstart:  Original coder Scott James Remnant and also commenters on
> LWN.net have shown quite a few serious problems in this codebase.
> (That's not to mention the cutesy Canonical Contributor Licence
> Agreement.)
>
> o  systemd
>
> o  SMF:  This is Solaris's init, these days, and is a bit gruesome
> (take the word of someone who's had to work with the damned thing).
>
> o  launchd:  Apple OS X and Apple Darwin's init.  As gruesome as SMF
> and a lot worse documentation, and XML orientation that will make you
> scream.
>
> o  OpenRC (originally native to _two_ distributions, Gentoo and
> Funtoo - sorry, Ivan)

I'm pretty sure s6 and nosh are event driven also, or at least have the
API for you to use events in triggering service startup.

Also, there are other dependency models that can work with the kernel's
increasingly event driven nature.

But anyway, OpenRC, augmented by a tiny PID1 and daemontools-encore to
manage respawning daemons, is just fine with me.

SteveT