[svlug] Inits (was: On the process of picking up systemd)

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Sat Jan 3 10:45:33 PST 2015

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> Are you saying that people at RH, Ubuntu, SuSE, Debian (Google??) were
> tricked into choosing a "technically inferior" solution even if they
> knew there were "superior" viable alternatives?

Ivan, Google does not use systemd anywhere that I know of, and upstart
is only there on workstations due to ubuntu (and if I had anything to do
with it still, that would get migrated back to debian, or the upstart
free fork of debian).
I specifically made sure that neither upstart nor systemd would reach
our production systems when I worked there since the boot speedup is not
worth the undebugability and the non consistent boots (i.e. each boot
could load things in a different order causing subtle bugs if there are
race conditions that would then be very hard to pin down if they only
happen 0.1% of the time or somesuch).

ChromeOS does use upstart due to its 5sec boot requirement and the fact
that its author works there :)
(but upstart is full of flaws, they just happen not to surface in
ChromeOS)

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                         | PGP 1024R/763BE901