[svlug] Migration to Debian

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Sat Jan 3 03:06:31 PST 2015

On 01/03/2015 10:38 AM, Rick Moen wrote:

> As you will see when/if you consult the three URLs I provided, I concurred
> with Ivan Sergio Borgonovo that Debian newcomers should stick to the Stable
> brnach for a while, while learning how things work.  I pointed out tha

I don't know if 10 years made a better me or made a better Debian... but
that "while" has become shorter and shorter.

I don't even want to waste my time talking about Windows. I really have
no idea how's the life of a Windows user these days.

I'd say that people installing Linux by themselves are still the ones
that should have some more technical interest in computer (then the
average Windows user?) and I expect them to be able to solve the kind of
problems they may face now if they use sid or testing.

Last time I had a "serious" problem with sid was because as grub
maintainers said to me, probably a leftover of old grub was still on my
server and mysteriously has kept working together with a mix of the
newer version and during an update... boom.

But I've always a flash with netinstall around and it is generally a
matter of downloading the old versions of the packages from snapshot if
I've been so reckless to run aptitude clean and I'm too lazy to look in
apt-cache-ng cache.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it