[svlug] Migration to Debian

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Jan 2 22:06:49 PST 2015

On Fri, 2 Jan 2015 21:18:57 -0800
Scott DuBois <rhcom.linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> My immediate questions are:
>
> 1) Is there a way to get around having to install the disk frequently
> for some packages? Is there some alternative to this that isn't going
> to involve adding a lot of things I don't necessarily need?

If that's what you really, really want, I'd recommend Slackware. But
personally, I find Slackware inconvenient.

> 2) My coursework requires me to read books from downloaded PDF that
> are security protected for copyright protection and thus require Adobe
> Reader to be able to perform the security log in. I have not installed
> this software 'yet', does anyone have experience with installing said
> software and if so, helpful advice?

All the distros I've tried had Acroread. Just enable the "nonfree"
repositories.

By the way, if you haven't made your absolute, final decision, I've
been very impressed by Manjaro lately. See if it has Acroread (my
Manjaro machine is disabled right now).

SteveT