[svlug] Migration to Debian

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 21:18:57 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 02, 2015 at 07:46:32PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Scott DuBois wrote:
>
> > To start the new year, I'm making the migration from Ubuntu to Debian
> > 7 Stable.
>
> OK.  It will be easier to give you relevant information if you give some
> information about what you are trying to do / what problem you are trying to
> solve.  E.g., what sort of system is this to be?  What role is it to serve?
> How did you elect to set it up?  Why did you elect the 'stable' branch as
> opposed to testing/unstable?

Well, I'm not doing anything really new or novel over what I was doing. I just had
this 'gut' feeling that it might be good for me to move upstream for a
while. Over the last year, I've had many people highly recommend
migrating to Debian proper to get an understanding of where and why so
many spinoff distros choose Debian as their base. I mainly wanted to
get a feel for how the Debian ecosystem works.

I use it for basic stuff: multimedia, ssh, virtualization, web server,
mail server, maybe some lightweight programming if the urge moves me.

I pretty much set it up the same as what I had going except this time
I'm on a Debian 7 stable base instead of an Ubuntu base. Still working
with KDE as a DE. I'm interested to experience how often and in-depth
updates are released. I hear the next version 'Jessie' is frozen for
the time being from the Debian IRC channel. I elected stable because I
prefer a very stable experience over grabbing the 'latest and
greatest' as it is released. Frequent changes breaks things, I like
things to be well tested and reliable.

My immediate questions are:

1) Is there a way to get around having to install the disk frequently for
some packages? Is there some alternative to this that isn't going to
involve adding a lot of things I don't necessarily need?

2) My coursework requires me to read books from downloaded PDF that
are security protected for copyright protection and thus require Adobe
Reader to be able to perform the security log in. I have not installed
this software 'yet', does anyone have experience with installing said
software and if so, helpful advice?

> Set the Wayback Machine for December 2004.  There's a thread in this mailing
> list's archives that is still relevant.
>
> http://lists.svlug.org/archives/svlug/2004-December/045587.html
> http://lists.svlug.org/archives/svlug/2004-December/045603.html
> http://lists.svlug.org/archives/svlug/2004-December/045614.html
>
> (Everything old is new again, again.)

I actually enjoy delving into the historical Linux stuff. The 'new'
spinoffs are nice but, I feel to really appreciate them, one should
understand where it all evolved from. You're lucky (IMHO) in that you
have been a part of the industry _directly_ since the 70's, shortly
after Unix was released to universities and various organizations.

There's a lot of really cool stuff to learn and do out there. This is
just one more step in learning it all.

Thanks for the links, I will definitely read up on them. =)