[svlug] This mess of a Subject header is at least shorter than Ivan's

Rick Moen rick at svlug.org
Fri Jan 2 07:08:40 PST 2015

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:

> Many people more knowledgeable than me on this topic, in pretty
> successful positions, decided it was a better thing than sysvinit.
[...]
> Systemd is surely more complicated than sysvinit
[...]
> a much earlier log than sysinit
[...]
> sysvinit is actually a reasonably old system debt
> for Linux and systemd is not the first attempt to improve it.
[...]

Remember back in the '90s and early 2000s, when noisy advocacy squads who
went around pushing Dan Bernstein's determinedly odd software made a point
of never comparing qmail against anything other than sendmail, and never
comparing djbdns against anything other than BIND?  That was a cheeesy
distraction from actually meaningful discussion, deliberately omitting
Postfix, Exim4, Courier-MTA, MaraDNS, NSD, PowerDNS, Unbound, and others --
and a big waste of time.

The similarity to comparing systemd - or, more meaningfully, the init portion
of systemd -- against nothing but SysVInit is left as an exercise for the
reader.

Please read the 'sysvinit: the eternal red herring' section of
http://uselessd.darknedgy.net/ProSystemdAntiSystemd/ before wasting
everyone's time with this sort of screed again.