[svlug] Maintaining systems without certain problematic packages (was: BAFUG)

Rick Moen rick at svlug.org
Fri Jan 2 06:44:02 PST 2015

Sanatan Rai wrote:

> Bear with me, but why could one not create a distro that uses (say) SysV
> init with a `barebones' xserver, and run fvwm2?

Wrong question.  The answer to your question is almost tautologically yes,
but the work entailed by not merely creating but then maintaining a Linux
distribution or any other full *ix is a very serious commitment, such that
it is much more intelligent, in most cases, to adopt less arduous solutions
to achieve the desired aims, such as respins.

Feel welcome to think this incorrect and find out the hard way, if you wish.

> [...] I'd switch to something else in a flash if it sucked less. [...]

I'm dreaming, right now, of a better world in which you're a few orders of
magnitude more specific.