[svlug] This mess is surely a conspiracy, my brain hurts and I don't like complexity or live long and prosper

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo ivan at webthatworks.it
Fri Jan 2 06:03:43 PST 2015

On 01/02/2015 03:17 AM, Karen Shaeffer wrote:

> Agreed.
> But Einstein believed the simplest solution to account for all constraints
> was far more _likely_ to be 'more correct' than the more complex one. That
> when human beings indulge in adding unnecessary complexity that exceeds the
> known constraints, this is inherently an error prone process. I believe, in

It is a quite interesting ontological problem and we just pretended to
agree on what "complex" means.

This is a bit derailing from the original point that complex systems are
generally more valuable than simple one and well that reality is complex.

I even made the mistake to mix and match building up a tool that works
and finding a model that explain something.

This is another example of complexity at work.

To build up a tool you'd have a model. Sometimes you've more than one,
sometimes they even don't agree...

Most of the reasons given to Occam's razor raison d'être are pragmatical
and they don't have any "proof".

So you just keep the tool simple because it is simple ;) And that
doesn't say anything about how "simple" it is to build up a simple
system ;) (or syntactically vs semantically simple).

Then you've the pragmatic process of finding new models in reality.

Then you've the theoretical process of picking up new model.
The last one is where I got a bit lost and something that may prove that
Occam was more right than what I thought but it has its own caveat.
Funny enough this has to do with CS and statistics and many of the
pitfalls I see depends on premises or "definitions".
And my brain starts to hurt again.

To summing it up, you can't ask a stone to write the Linux kernel but
you can expect the open source community will so as you could expect
that the scientific community would come up with a better explanation of
gravity.

And while we enjoy the epic of heroes we're just standing on the
shoulders of giants (or wikipedia).

> engineering groups doing serious bleeding edge work, Einstein's point of view
> is generally fully embraced for all the above reasons.

> When linux systems were on the bleeding edge, I believe there was a keep it
> simple as possible attitude. IMHO, Linux is crufty, mainstream technology
> today, and entangled complexity comes with that reality. As stated, I fully
> expect that trend to continue.

> always enjoy your comments. Very busy today...

Happy hacking then.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it