[svlug] This mess is surely a conspiracy, my brain hurts and I don't like complexity or live long and prosper

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Jan 2 02:43:37 PST 2015

On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 00:42:01 +0100
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail at webthatworks.it> wrote:

> On 01/01/2015 11:13 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 18:43:58 +0100
> > SOMEBODY <mail at webthatworks.it> wrote:
> >

> >> Complexity is unavoidable, I'd say invaluable actually.
> >
> > I have no idea whom to attribute the preceding statement because of
> > the state of quoting in the thread, but whoever it is, their
> > beliefs on the subject of complexity are certainly 180 degrees in
> > directions and lightyears in amplitude different from mine.
>
> That was just my personal attempt to rephrase Metcalfe's law
> considering you've no choice other than dealing with the complexity
> of reality.

Say whaaaaaat? No choice? Even I, a mere Troubleshooting Trainer, can
rip a lot of complexity right out of my box. And that's reality: I did
it on Ubuntu, I did it in Debian, and I'm learning how to do it
(complete with replacement of systemd) in Manjaro.

> Occam's razor doesn't say a simpler solution is more correct than a
> more complex one. It's just more manageable (and faster to falsify).

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor it doesn't
say either. And one thing it *certainly* doesn't say is that complexity
is invaluable.

SteveT