[svlug] This mess is surely a conspiracy, my brain hurts and I don't like complexity or live long and prosper

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Thu Jan 1 18:17:14 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 02, 2015 at 02:53:58AM +0100, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> On 01/02/2015 02:31 AM, Karen Shaeffer wrote:
>
> > Hi Ivan,
> > Indeed, but Albert Einstein said keep it simple. Paraphrasing, Einstein
> > said: Never construct a theory that is more complex than it needs to be.
> > If you have two theories, and one is more complex than the other, while
> > both fully account for all observed data, then always pick the simplest
> > of the two.
>
> But why? I'm even giving an explanation to why you've to keep the
> simplest one, it is faster to be proven false and easier to manage.

Agreed.
But Einstein believed the simplest solution to account for all constraints
was far more _likely_ to be 'more correct' than the more complex one. That
when human beings indulge in adding unnecessary complexity that exceeds the
known constraints, this is inherently an error prone process. I believe, in
engineering groups doing serious bleeding edge work, Einstein's point of view
is generally fully embraced for all the above reasons.

When linux systems were on the bleeding edge, I believe there was a keep it
simple as possible attitude. IMHO, Linux is crufty, mainstream technology
today, and entangled complexity comes with that reality. As stated, I fully
expect that trend to continue.

always enjoy your comments. Very busy today...

> It is pretty cool to say that new discoveries in physics are giving a
> more elegant and coherent picture of reality.
> But for a reality check look at how many books a scientist had to read
> in 1900 to get a Nobel prize and look how many books you've to read just
> to publish your first paper now.
>
> > But with human nature what it is, linux systems continue to evolve towards
> > more entangled complexity. I expect that trend to continue.
>
> We just have to hope there is a Moore's law for Dunbar's number ;)
>
> BTW we're getting near to Newton's birthday (one of the 2).
>
> --
> Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
> http://www.webthatworks.it

enjoy,
Karen
--
Karen Shaeffer                 Be aware: If you see an obstacle in your path,
Neuralscape Services           that obstacle is your path.        Zen proverb