[svlug] This mess is surely a conspiracy, my brain hurts and I don't like complexity or live long and prosper

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Thu Jan 1 17:53:58 PST 2015

On 01/02/2015 02:31 AM, Karen Shaeffer wrote:

> Hi Ivan,
> Indeed, but Albert Einstein said keep it simple. Paraphrasing, Einstein
> said: Never construct a theory that is more complex than it needs to be.
> If you have two theories, and one is more complex than the other, while
> both fully account for all observed data, then always pick the simplest
> of the two.

But why? I'm even giving an explanation to why you've to keep the
simplest one, it is faster to be proven false and easier to manage.

It is pretty cool to say that new discoveries in physics are giving a
more elegant and coherent picture of reality.
But for a reality check look at how many books a scientist had to read
in 1900 to get a Nobel prize and look how many books you've to read just
to publish your first paper now.

> But with human nature what it is, linux systems continue to evolve towards
> more entangled complexity. I expect that trend to continue.

We just have to hope there is a Moore's law for Dunbar's number ;)

BTW we're getting near to Newton's birthday (one of the 2).

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it