[svlug] This mess is surely a conspiracy, my brain hurts and I don't like complexity or live long and prosper

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Thu Jan 1 17:31:53 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 02, 2015 at 12:42:01AM +0100, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> On 01/01/2015 11:13 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 18:43:58 +0100
> > SOMEBODY <mail at webthatworks.it> wrote:
> >

> >> Complexity is unavoidable, I'd say invaluable actually.
> >
> > I have no idea whom to attribute the preceding statement because of the
> > state of quoting in the thread, but whoever it is, their beliefs on the
> > subject of complexity are certainly 180 degrees in directions and
> > lightyears in amplitude different from mine.
>
> That was just my personal attempt to rephrase Metcalfe's law considering
> you've no choice other than dealing with the complexity of reality.
>
> Occam's razor doesn't say a simpler solution is more correct than a more
> complex one. It's just more manageable (and faster to falsify).
>
> Have fun in the process.

Hi Ivan,
Indeed, but Albert Einstein said keep it simple. Paraphrasing, Einstein
said: Never construct a theory that is more complex than it needs to be.
If you have two theories, and one is more complex than the other, while
both fully account for all observed data, then always pick the simplest
of the two.

But with human nature what it is, linux systems continue to evolve towards
more entangled complexity. I expect that trend to continue.

Happy New Year to all!
Karen
--
Karen Shaeffer                 Be aware: If you see an obstacle in your path,
Neuralscape Services           that obstacle is your path.        Zen proverb