[svlug] BIND9 on EC2

Scott DuBois sdubois at linux.com
Sun Nov 30 19:51:11 PST 2014

On 11/30/2014 05:41 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Umm.... I don't know what else you expected to see.  That control allows you
> to repoint the domain to the authoritative namservers of your choosing.
> That's exactly what you need on the domain registrar end - no more, no less.

Well, to be honest, it's the first time I've bought a domain without
defaulting to having hosting with it. I don't have the resources to do
anything else so I've always just had DNS tables with every deployment.
As such, having just a domain name is a new adventure in itself so I'm
not used to only having a nameserver panel; but it makes sense now that
I get farther into this.

> Any other questions?  If you were wondering how to use dig to query (1)
> your domain's in-zone NS lines (those you edit directly on what you will be
> using as your master nameserver) and (2) parent-zone NS likes concerning
> your domain, the above shows you how to do it.  I believe I covered pretty
> much the entire process in the required order.  So, do that.

No, I think you've pretty much covered it and done a good job, thanks a
bunch! I think I'm almost ready to switch over the nameservers once I
get a third configured. Obviously the first time is always the hardest
depending on what one has for instructions to follow. No offense to the
Ubuntu people but the instructions I found there weren't very thorough
(I thought anyway). Hence, my configuration notes are pretty jumbled and
may not be of much "rational" use the next time around once I have this
deployment running, shut it down, and start all over again. The notes
will get better through each iteration.

Unfortunately, I have some school work that I have been neglecting over
the week while working on how to do DNS configuration. I will probably
be able to get back to DNS on Tuesday, maybe tomorrow night depending on
the intensity of my homework; religious studies can be trying.

--
Scott DuBois BSIT
President EBLUG