[svlug] questions on web site development

Vincent Flesouras find.me at xalg.im
Sun Nov 30 11:30:29 PST 2014

Hi Scott,
I am a Drupal developer.
I've worked at a web agency, freelance, subcontract and now I work at SLAC
National Accelerator Laboratory as their Sr. Drupal Architect.

I've created and manage a lot of websites. During my freelance years, I met
with a lot of clients that had many of the same concerns you do. I will
tell you that doing it all yourself for the first time is invaluable in
terms of experience gained. In fact, I love it when clients take a stab at
creating their own site. If they coded it from the ground up and had to
muddle through design, development and deployment they have a deeper
appreciation of what it is I do, and why it isn't cheap.

When you're starting out there is no magic button. There are sites like Wix
that allow you to rapidly construct parts of pre-developed blocks.
Customizing those and getting it all working to your satisfaction is
difficult at best. I recommend you play around so you'll realize that isn't
the way to go.

Dreamweaver is a good starting place to get your feet wet with HTML and
CSS. But, if you want any kind of dynamic content, or wish to use databases
to store content, you'll rapidly discover the limitations of WYSIWYG tools.
Albeit, static HTML hosting is incredibly cheap. Follow some of the
thousands of tutorials on the web:
https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/how-to/first-website-part1.html  play
around with several different IDE's and languages.

A step up from Dreamweaver is Wordpress. It requires some chops in terms of
installation and first time setup, but that is mitigated by hosting
providers that often times have it installed already or use Cpanel to
install it.

Then, there is my bread and butter, Drupal. It's a fantastic Open Source
CMS that is flexible and extendable to the point of being a detriment to
itself.

One of the things I have learned is that clients don't care what language
is used to make their website, for most of them it's all magic anyway. What
they want is to quickly update content  to communicate something; Be it
news, new products, emergency notices. The nuts and bolts don't matter to
the uninitiated. In terms of stability, upgrade paths and the ability to
effect change I have my biases, but all of them require digging in and
learning a whole lot about the innards of servers, programming languages
such as javascript, PHP and .NET. and how the internet works in general.

Your first decision is weather or not you want to be a client or do it
yourself.  You're on a Linux user group, so I imagine you're not foreign to
command lines and trying things out. But if you're simply wanting to get it
done, then I'd find a developer that is hungry but honest. Not an easy task
in SV, but they exist everywhere.

Regardless of what you choose, I recommend at least getting your feet wet
with some of the open source IDE's and doing some of the initial
introduction tutorials like http://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/htmlcss