[svlug] BIND9 on EC2

Scott DuBois sdubois at linux.com
Sat Nov 29 21:02:04 PST 2014

On 11/28/2014 01:22 AM, Rick Moen wrote:

Please clarify.

Sorry, I tried to convey in words what I'm looking at for my only
options from my host. A can only access nameserver settings; no records.

(See image link)
https://www.domain.com/domaincom/about/press/2009/01_30_2009.bml

> 2.  The remainder of your posting suggests you wish this nameserver host to
> do (at minimum) authoritative DNS, for domain sldubois.org and possibly
> other domains, and in fact to be the DNS master for sldubois.org.

Right. It's my first "rodeo" configuring my own DNS and I just want to
make it work. Once it works, then I relax and study it further
considering other possibilities.

I started this whole instruction from the Ubuntu Tutorials website
before finding the DigitalOcean pages and have been following their
instructions since. Instead of trying to divert into "custom"
configuration properties, I felt it best to create my own Master and
Slave on EC2 and I guess a third as well since it it highly recommended.

> Please consider re-posting your question with real data.

named.conf.local:

ubuntu at ip-172-31-2-0:/etc/bind$ cat named.conf.local
//
// Do any local configuration here
//

zone "sldubois.org" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/bind/db.sldubois.org";
        allow-transfer { 54.67.63.64; };
};

zone "14.67.54.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/bind/db.54";
};

// Consider adding the 1918 zones here, if they are not used in your
// organization
//include "/etc/bind/zones.rfc1918";

Master Server:

ubuntu at ip-172-31-2-0:/etc/bind$ cat db.sldubois.org
;
; BIND data file for sldubois.org interface
;
$TTL    604800
@       IN      SOA     ns1.sldubois.org. sdubois.linux.com. (
                     2014112901         ; Serial
                          43200         ; Refresh
                            900         ; Retry
                        2419200         ; Expire
                         604800 )       ; Negative Cache TTL
;
; Name Servers
sldubois.org.   IN      NS      ns1.sldubois.org. ; Master
sldubois.org.   IN      NS      ns2.sldubois.org. ; Slave

; A records for name servers
ns1             IN      A       54.67.99.9   ; Master
ns2             IN      A       54.67.63.64  ; Slave

; Other A records
@               IN      A       54.67.14.140 ; IP for Apache
www             IN      A       54.67.14.140 ; IP for Apache

Master Reverse:

ubuntu at ip-172-31-2-0:/etc/bind$ cat db.54
;
; BIND reverse data file for sldubois.org interface
;
$TTL    604800
@       IN      SOA     ns1.sldubois.org. sdubois.linux.com. (
                     2014112901         ; Serial
                          43200         ; Refresh
                            900         ; Retry
                        2419200         ; Expire
                         604800 )       ; Negative Cache TTL
;

; Name servers
        IN      NS      ns1.sldubois.org. ; Master
        IN      NS      ns2.sldubois.org. ; Slave

; PTR records
9       IN      PTR     ns1.sldubois.org. ; Master
64      IN      PTR     ns2.sldubois.org. ; Slave
140     IN      PTR     www.sldubois.org. ; Apache

Slave:

ubuntu at ip-172-31-21-66:/etc/bind$ cat named.conf.local
//
// Do any local configuration here
//

zone "sldubois.org" {
        type slave;
        file "db.sldubois.org";
        masters { 54.67.99.9; };
};

// Consider adding the 1918 zones here, if they are not used in your
// organization
//include "/etc/bind/zones.rfc1918";

> Step #2 is the step that makes the two nameservers _authoritative_ -- that
> causes public traffic to be directed to them.  It is important that your DNS
> be correct and verified before you repoint DNS to your authoritative servers
> in that step.

I ran:
sudo named-checkconf
and
sudo named-checkzone

They're ok. EC2 doesn't allow pings or netstat so I'm short on anything
else other than dig.

> And, as mentioned, you really ought to have at least three, not just two.

If I also make the third myself would I just duplicate what I did for
ns2 and add ns3 to the master files?

> So, as usual, the registrar has used nameservers to point your domain to a
> 'parking' page.

Well, I only picked up my domain from them with no hosting as my intent
was to just use the domain for work like I'm doing now.

--
Scott DuBois BSIT
President EBLUG