[svlug] BIND9 on EC2

Scott DuBois sdubois at linux.com
Thu Nov 27 16:10:14 PST 2014

I'm setting up BIND9 on an EC2 instance and this is my first run at
building a DNS server.

My FQDN host has the following options:

ns1.default-setting.com
ns2.default-setting.com

I want to change this to:

ns1.sldubois.org
ns2.default-setting.com (as fallback)

my zone file looks like this:

ubuntu at ip-172-31-2-0:/etc/bind$ cat db.sldubois.org
;
; BIND data file for sldubois.org interface
;
$TTL    604800
$ORIGIN sldubois.org
@       IN      SOA     ns1.sldubois.org. sdubois.linux.com. (
                            007         ; Serial
                         604800         ; Refresh
                          86400         ; Retry
                        2419200         ; Expire
                         604800 )       ; Negative Cache TTL
        IN      A       54.67.14.140
;
@       IN      NS      ns1.sldubois.org.
@       IN      A       54.67.14.140 ; IP for Apache instance
;@      IN      AAAA    ::1          ; No IPv6 provided
ns1     IN      A       54.67.14.140 ; IP for Apache instance

Do I need to specify ns2.default-setting.com in my zone file under
ns1.sldubois.org. ?

OR

Do I really need to create a slave to my master DNS or can I just use
the slave assigned by my host?

Searching on Google is giving me all kinds of answers that go all over
the board and many do not cover setting up on EC2 as they prefer to have
people use their Route 53 DNS service. This is fine and good but doesn't
help in learning to set up DNS.

The following are the references I've been using:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/an-introduction-to-dns-terminology-components-and-concepts

http://jafty.com/blog/how-to-set-up-bind-dns-server-on-amazon-ec2/
--
Scott DuBois BSIT