[svlug] questions on web site development

Scott DuBois sdubois at linux.com
Tue Nov 25 12:51:55 PST 2014

On 11/25/2014 09:37 AM, Kevin Rossi wrote:
> List,
> I want to get a website developed (small -- 3-5 static pages and a few
> frames of dynamic contents and contact information for my business). I
> have the domain name, but I have no idea how to proceed or subcontract.
> Here are my list of issues.

I get the impression you have a (mild) interest in doing this yourself
but might consider having someone do it for you too. Two _very_ distinct
differences here. Learning to do it yourself is a good thing but takes
time, patience and practice. Having someone do it for you can open it's
own "can of worms" as in they may build it then not maintain it. Then
you have to find someone to make changes etc..

> I got the domain name registered with godaddy, through google. Now, how
> do I develop a web site? I tried google apps (site builder?) but
> realized that it is only for the company intranet. May be my
> understanding is wrong, but how do I proceed?

Lots of different ways; Templates, Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla,
Dreamweaver, KompoZer, Raptor, Site Builder from the hosting company, etc..

http://www.opensourcealternative.org/alternatives/web-development/open-source-alternative-to-dreamweaver/

Did you only register the domain or did you also sign up for full hosting?

> If I want to subcontract, how do I make sure about the credential of the
> company before I hand over the admin login/password combo? Is that even
> necessary if I get a tar file of all contents? Is someone in the list
> has a referral? My budget is a little tight, does anyone know the ballpark?

Ask around. This can be hit and miss as building is "fairly" easy once
the basics are learned so sustaining income doing it isn't easy. Many
devs will get busy doing other things which can lead to the issue of
maintenance.

Legit people don't care about the code since it's all yours anyway.

> Well, if this mail does not make much sense, that indeed shows how much
> web technology I know. Please ask questions so that I can do some
> research and find out what I want and how to get it done...

It makes sense as I've heard this same thing many times before. Someone
wants web work done, they want control of the process, but they don't
know how to take the first step and they're nervous about having someone
else do it for them. Been there...

When I started out I had Dreamweaver installed but didn't know how to
connect the FTP service or do all the backend stuff to move my work to
the host; it was awful. My friend who set me up would rarely (if ever)
answer his phone or my emails so I get left with all this stuff for a
website and no way of knowing what to do or how to work it. That was in
2006.

While it may seem like a lot of work, I always suggest people learn how
to build and manage their own site unless you can really afford a
reliable dev who will handle all the details for you. Even then, you
should at lest understand the "basics" so that if your dev bails or
"disappears" for some reason you have an idea of what needs to be done
when you look for someone else or attempt your own patch work.

--
Scott DuBois BSIT
President EBLUG