[svlug] questions on web site development

Michael Eager eager at eagercon.com
Tue Nov 25 10:16:09 PST 2014

On 11/25/14 09:37, Kevin Rossi wrote:
> List,
> I want to get a website developed (small -- 3-5 static pages and a few frames of dynamic contents
> and contact information for my business). I have the domain name, but I have no idea how to proceed
> or subcontract. Here are my list of issues.
>
> I got the domain name registered with godaddy, through google. Now, how do I develop a web site? I
> tried google apps (site builder?) but realized that it is only for the company intranet. May be my
> understanding is wrong, but how do I proceed?

There are a number of tools available which will guide you through building
a simple website.  Godaddy has a "Build a Website" with links to Website Builder,
a Wordpress Builder, and more.  They also have referrals to web design services.

> If I want to subcontract, how do I make sure about the credential of the company before I hand over
> the admin login/password combo? Is that even necessary if I get a tar file of all contents? Is
> someone in the list has a referral? My budget is a little tight, does anyone know the ballpark?

Ask for references or look for a referral from someone you know
who has a website you like and has good experience with the developer.

You can change the password on your account after the work is
completed.  I'm not clear why you are concerned about giving
your website developer access to your website.

It is possible to have someone build a website offline or under a
different, perhaps private, account, then you can transfer it to your
account using a tar ball, but that seems to me to introduce an unnecessary
complication.  If there are problems on your website, but not on the
development website, who is going to resolve them?  You don't sound
like you will be able to do this.

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077