[svlug] Desktop software and systems management

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Nov 21 10:52:52 PST 2014

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 10:09:23 -0800
Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org> wrote:

> begin Steve Litt quotation of Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 11:00:22PM -0500:
> > On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 13:28:28 -0800
> > Rick Moen <rick at svlug.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not sure I need a process supervisor built into the init.  As
> > > the author points out, there are plenty of good process
> > > supervisors ('daemontools, runit and s6' being listed there), nor
> > > am I all that thrilled about socket activation, being fonder of
> > > the 'run this daemon because the sysadmin said so' model.  But
> > > I'm willing to consider the advantages.
> >
> > You just reminded me of something I've been meaning to do but pushed
> > back onto the stack. I want to take the init program whose 16 lines
> > of source code is at the bottom of this:
> >
> > http://ewontfix.com/14/
>
> The Yocto project also has "tiny-init", in 14 lines
> of shell (not counting comments):
>
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/plain/meta-yocto/recipes-core/tiny-init/files/init

Nice! I'll try it. Thanks Don!

What I'll probably do, once I've verified this proof of concept, is
substitute a call to /etc/rc or whatever for that loop at the bottom,
so that I can get daemontools to throw up ttys0 through ttys6, run the
network, and then run all my daemons. I've figured out a nice way to
make daemontools run my daemons in the order I desire (like have the
network running before running sshd and the like).

I might try this as early as tonight, and will report back.

Thanks very much.

SteveT