[svlug] Wifi on other channels

JC Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Nov 21 10:31:32 PST 2014

On 21 Nov 2014, at 09:48, Marc MERLIN <marc_news at merlins.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 07:55:16PM -0800, J C Lawrence wrote:
>> Funny you should say that.  In particular I have an immediate interest
>> in the problems with establishing 802.11 connections with American
>> devices to bases listening on channels 12, 13, or 14 versus the other
>> (and more common in the US) lower channels (those higher channels are
>> commonly used outside of the US...).
>
> Are you trying to do this while in the US (which would likely be illegal) or
> elsewhere?

We make a Linux device which acts as an 802.11 base so that an iPad may connect with it.  While we formally sell only inside the continental US, asian buyers (in particular, but also EU) are having problems  due to the channels yada yada.  (They're using systems like MyUS to buy "inside" the states and then ship out to where ever -- yay customer support!)

> Many network cards are capable of all channels but try to find a way to
> determine what country they're in so that they don't break local laws.
> Cell phones usually use cell location or the type of SIM plugged in.
> Laptops often rely on the driver to tell them what country they're in and on
> linux this can be recompiled/tweeked or sometimes changed from userspace.

Yeah, that's what we're playing with.  Slow going.

-- JCL