[svlug] Wifi on other channels

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Fri Nov 21 09:48:24 PST 2014

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 07:55:16PM -0800, J C Lawrence wrote:
> Funny you should say that.  In particular I have an immediate interest
> in the problems with establishing 802.11 connections with American
> devices to bases listening on channels 12, 13, or 14 versus the other
> (and more common in the US) lower channels (those higher channels are
> commonly used outside of the US...).

Are you trying to do this while in the US (which would likely be illegal) or
elsewhere?

Many network cards are capable of all channels but try to find a way to
determine what country they're in so that they don't break local laws.
Cell phones usually use cell location or the type of SIM plugged in.
Laptops often rely on the driver to tell them what country they're in and on
linux this can be recompiled/tweeked or sometimes changed from userspace.

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/