[svlug] OMG! MS Goes Open Source

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sun Nov 16 11:23:40 PST 2014

begin Marc MERLIN quotation of Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 08:37:35AM -0800:
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 03:46:43AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> > That list has been revelatory, particularly because the 310 patents suddenly
> > brought to the light of the day seem to be basically bullshit (weak, easily
> > voided through legal either challenge, or reexamination by USPTO) patents.
>
> Note that voiding a patent is time consuming and expensive. Google does
> that every time we can to teach patent trolls we won't pay up, but I
> wouldn't be surprised if paying up had been cheaper (at least in the
> short term).
>
> > So, Microsoft's ability to bleed an estimated $2b/year out of firms making
> > Android devices may soon come to an end.
>
> That sure would be a good thing.

The next generation of patent trolls will be from
outside the USA, where there are government funds
for buying up old patents from US companies.

  http://hosted-p0.vresp.com/1010969/159a7e99ef/ARCHIVE

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/