[svlug] OMG! MS Goes Open Source

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Sun Nov 16 08:37:35 PST 2014

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 03:46:43AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> That list has been revelatory, particularly because the 310 patents suddenly
> brought to the light of the day seem to be basically bullshit (weak, easily
> voided through legal either challenge, or reexamination by USPTO) patents.

Note that voiding a patent is time consuming and expensive. Google does
that every time we can to teach patent trolls we won't pay up, but I
wouldn't be surprised if paying up had been cheaper (at least in the
short term).

> So, Microsoft's ability to bleed an estimated $2b/year out of firms making
> Android devices may soon come to an end.

That sure would be a good thing.

Thanks also for the detailled history info here, I was missing some
details.

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                         | PGP 1024R/763BE901